Re: Kernel 2.2 and 2.4: boot differences?

No, no;  ifconfig says the interface is up and running with both
kernel images.   Obviously *a* tulip module is installed (one way
or the other).  Happens to be two different ones.

I compiled tulip in to  2.4.18 whereas I don't know how the prepackaged
2.2.20-idepci worked.   I'd kinda like to try the driver that shipped with
2.2.20 but I don't know how to answer configuration questions to get it
insted of the driver I now have compiled into 2.4.18.

I don't know the driver in 2.4.18 is malfunctioning;  I know only
four things that seem relevant:
   ifconfig is happy;
   netstat only reports success with 2.2.20-idepci not with my
          compiled 2.4.18;
  the base addresses used by the two tulip modules are different;
  the configuration files the two kernel images are booting under
         are the same.

 (Of course, the configuration files ask for different things because of
what they find in the /proc directories but that is a fact I don't know
how to exploit in tracking down my problem.)

J Adrian Zimmer
   www.ossm.edu/~azimmer
   azimmer -- dot -- ossm.edu

Adrian Zimmer wrote:
> with 2.2.20 I get
>
> eth0: Accton EN1217/EN2242 (ADMtek Comet) rev 17 at 0xc6022000, 00:D0:59:24:04:C0, IRQ 11.
> eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000 status 786d advertising 01e1.
>
> whereas with 2.4.18 I get
>
> eth0: ADMtek Comet rev 17 at 0x1c00, 00:D0:59:24:04:C0, IRQ 11.

Googling and then looking at the tulip_core.c driver shows that the
tulip driver is used with this card.

Did you compile the tulip driver into your kernel?  Or did you compile
it as a module?  If as a module did you load the tulip driver in
/etc/modules?  If you are using the Debian tuned kernels then
everything is compiled as a module and you will need to include tulip
in /etc/modules.

Bob