Inventory Databases

I am wondering what advice people have about the following:

Our company needs to keep track of purchased inventory (when purchased, how much, where it's located), etc. Also, we would want to keep a db on analogous products, who they are sold by, their prices, etc. Now, here is what the acounting dept. is planning on doing. Whereas they already use Great Plains Dynamics (Microsoft) for all accounting activities, and whereas there is apparently a module that you can purchase that performs these functions, they plan on purchasing this module (despite some shortcomings).

My issue is that: great move buying a product that's going to cost $$$, then licenses $$$, then well, we'll have to have SQL licenses and we' have to purchase multiple copies of SQL $$$$, and then ..........

Surely there is some other option.

I would appreciate any ideas people have. BTW, I have looked at NOLA and it's not what we will need. Also, I don't care whether it costs, but what other options are there.

--
Curtis Vaughan