still can't install deb with PCMCIA NIC

In spite of previous help, I'm getting nowhere.  I thought I had
solved this by using the Linux Format coverdisk Morphix, which
installed everything, recognised the NIC - all perfect.  Only
problem, when I installed it to the hard drive, the installer didn't
set up lilo, and the system was unbootable.  In fact, it didn't
create a /boot directory at all.

So back to the Woody CDs.  I am trying to install on thinkpad 570.
I use "bf24 floppy=thinkpad" (I think that was the unlikely-sounding
option it specified for thinkpad).  The bf24 because I use ext3.
When I try to set up networking, I get a "Problem - No network
interfaces were found.  That means the installation system was unable
to find a network device.  If you do have a network card.... Go back
to the 'Configure Device Driver Modules' menu..." message.  But there
are no relevant device driver modules listed, AFAICS.  So, if I carry
on with the install, I will again have no network connection and no
way to ftp the up-to-date packages.

I can dredge the cover disks collection for other distros, or maybe
someone here can see a way out of this catch-22 situation?

--
richard