limiting download speed

Hello.

My home computer (running Debian sid, kernel 2.4) is connected to a LAN and
runs Apache to serve web pages and files to other computers in the LAN.

Recently admins of the LAN told me to limit total download speed from my
computer over http. Than means, if one person is downloading from my
computer, he should get at most N kbps, but if e.g. 3 people are
downloading from my computer, each one should get at most N/3 kbps.

What is the correct way to do that? Although I am a unix admin, I have never
solved this before. Seems that I need to configure iproute? Or there is a
better way? I want to limit only outgoing HTTP traffic; if at the same time
I am uploading a file to some other computer, there should be no local
speed limit.

Could someone please help me to do what LAN admins want, or point to
appropriate documentation?