Re: Upon boot, many strange and useless modules are loaded

Darin Strait said on Sat, Jul 26, 2003 at 10:21:28AM -0500:
> I had left the machine running for a few weeks, when I needed to shut it down.
> After rebooting, my USB mouse is frozen upon reaching the KDM login screen.
>
> After a little poking around, I found that all sorts of oddball modules (for
> which I don't have the hardware. serverworks?) had been loaded. After
> manually rmmod-ing them, my mouse unfroze and all was happy.

Bizarre.  The funky little modules are due to the IDE rework that was merged
into 2.4.21.  The advantage is much better IDE support, but a side effect is
that the IDE code got broken up into a ton of chipset specific modules.

I think the Debian kernel maintainer just loads all of them for backwards
compatibility purposes, since before they were all "loaded" in the monolithic
IDE driver anyway.

> My recurring problem is that all of the modules that I rmmod-ed  re-appear
> upon a reboot. I haven't had time to troubleshoot this all week, so I've been
> limping along by running this script, which will result in my being able to
> use my mouse.
>
> # begin included file
> rmmod via82cxxx
> rmmod trm290
> rmmod triflex
> rmmod slc90e66
> rmmod sis5513
> rmmod siimage
> rmmod serverworks
> rmmod sc1200
> rmmod rz1000
> rmmod pdc202xx_old
> rmmod opti621
> rmmod ns87415
> rmmod hpt366
> rmmod hpt34x
> rmmod cy82c693
> rmmod cs5530
> rmmod cmd64x
> rmmod cmd640
> rmmod amd74xx
> rmmod alim15x3
> rmmod aec62xx
> rmmod adma100
> rmmod pdc202xx_new
> # end of file
>

> Help?

You should try and see if you can narrow down the problem; ie, if you can only
unload _one_ module and your mouse starts working, that would probably be a
useful bit to submit to the kernel maintaner as a bug.