Switching stable kernels dhcp confusion

I obtained debian through the idepci distribution.  After a "devlopers"
installation, kernel version 2.2.0 was up and running.

I then downloaded the source for version 2.4.18 and, then, configured
and compiled this version.   Both versions boot up just fine.

I'm looking to work within the most recent stable version - at least until I have the kernel the way I want it.

I used the idepci disketts to download my installation through an
ethernet connection to the internet that uses DHCP. And here are  my
questions:

The 2.2.20-idepci kernel image connects sets up routing tables just fine
even though dhcp doesn't seem to be installed.  How is that?l

The 2.4.18 image that I compiled doesn't set up routing tables even
though would seem to be running with the same configuration files
Why is that?  Could I have neglected a configuration option I needed?
How do I look for that option?

J Adrian Zimmer
   www.ossm.edu/~azimmer
   azimmer@ossm.edu