Re: packages removed by Release Manager just reveal older versions

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:10:06 +0200, Joey Hess wrote:

> (This question is appropriate for the debian-user mailing list,
> redirecting.)

Maybe, maybe not.

>> I guess I'm hoping for a warning that a package is 'out of fashion'
>> when I try to apt-get install it.
>
> The problem is that you are using a demonstration frontend for the apt
> library, instead of a real package manager.
>
> aptitude or even dselect will display packages that are not in the
> archive as "obsolete" or "local", making it easy to tell when you have
> something outdated.

No, the problem is that Dan has outdated CD-ROM sources in his APT
configuration (sources.list). AFAICT, aptitude lists any installed package
that it cannot find a download source for in the "obsolete/local" section.
If a package is in a local repository or on CD-ROM, aptitude won't notice
that the package is no longer supported by Debian. That's the same trap
apt-cache fell in.

Dan seems to want a technical solution, i.e. a change in the APT software.
I don't think this would be justified. Keeping the /etc/apt/sources.list
in a reasonable state is something that Debian can't help the admin with.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!