Re: how to set up NIC

On Monday 28 July 2003 15:17, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 01:38:08PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > I am attempting to install debian on a Thinkpad570 (Woody from
> > CDs, using bf24).  I have plugged in a PCMCIA network interface.
> > How do I configure it?
>
> This might be of some help...
>
> http://ursine.ca/doc/HOWTO/en-html/Laptop-HOWTO.html
> http://ursine.ca/doc/HOWTO/en-html/PCMCIA-HOWTO.html
> http://ursine.ca/doc/HOWTO/en-html/Net-HOWTO/index.html

Useful links, thanks.  I had, in fact meanwhile found the Net-HOWTO,
and am trying to use its guidance.  It tells me that, for Debian, I
need to put the Interface Config/Routing commands in
/etc/init.d/network and the Server Initialization in /etc/rc2.d/*.
It does not tell me what to write in those locations.

I have tried starting the network manually thus:

  # ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
but I get error messages:
  SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
  eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
  SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
  eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

which suggests there is not much point in continuing with trying to
write the configuration files from scratch.

However, inserting the card shows immediately:
  cs: cb_alloc(bus 7): vendor 0x10ec, device 0x8139

so I suppose the device is identified, and lsmod shows (inter alia):
  ds               6624   2
  i82365          22416   2
  pcmcia_core     41408   0   [ds i82365]

which may or may not be what it should say, but at least these are the
modules I am told to expect.

I now do not know how to proceed.  Perhaps it is not possible to
connect this laptop to the LAN for some reason that I know nothing
of.  Perhaps I need to install the Debian base system differently.
Perhaps I need to configure something that is already installed.  I
don't even understand how to identify where the problem lies.

Any ideas out there?

--
richard