how to set up NIC

I am attempting to install debian on a Thinkpad570 (Woody from CDs,
using bf24).  I have plugged in a PCMCIA network interface.  How do I
configure it?

I've configured /etc/hosts and /etc/pcmcia/network.opts (well, I think
I have - they look fairly self-explanatory), and I've written an
/etc/resolv.conf (nothing was provided by the default install, to my
surprise). I think I have to write some stuff in
/etc/network/interfaces, but I have no idea what.  And what else will
I need to configure to get the ethernet connection, so that I can
install the rest of woody by ftp?

Any help gratefully recieved!

--
richard