Re: Cannot Connect to some website on linux

> At 11:48 PM 7/27/2003 -0400, ThanhVu Nguyen wrote:
> >I use Debian Woody, with cable modem connected to the computer via eth0
> >, it get the ip via dhcp during bootup.  The problem I have is that I
> >cannot connect to the site www.thatpetplace.com , it just timed out.
> >I've tried it on various browsers and same result. wget returns this
> >
> >wget www.thatpetplace.com
> >--23:44:35--  http://www.thatpetplace.com/
> >            => `index.html'
> >Resolving www.thatpetplace.com... done.
> >Connecting to www.thatpetplace.com[208.30.147.3]:80... failed:
> >Connection timed out.

I had this happen to me 2 weeks ago. Very annoying. For future
reference, the easiest way to check for whether ECN is causing it is to
use "tcptraceroute". Just use tcptraceroute <site>, then try
tcptraceroute -E <site>. The second call with the -E switches on ECN. if
the first gets to the destination, and the second doesn't, it's an ECN
problem.

You can either remove ECN support from the kernel, or:
check the file: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
If ECN is on, the file will contain a 1. Simply edit the file and change
the 1 to a 0.

FYI, the site I was trying was ananova.com

Cheers,
Andy