Re: Thoughts about my mail setup

on Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:14:59AM +0200, Joerg Johannes wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> Yesterday, I tried to read mail from my IMAP account via modem. This was
> horribly sloooow. So I thought about my mail setup again. I know that I
> could store my IMAP mails locally (fetch them once only) with
> "offlineimap". At the moment I am using kmail for my three
> mail-accounts: Two POP3-accounts on gmx.de and one IMAP account on
> web.de.
> I have read the man page of "offlineimap" and saw the remark that it
> does not work together with kmail, but it can be used together with a
> locally running imap server (courier). So, what do you think about such
> a setup:
>
> pop1@gmx.de -> fetched by kmail, sent through smtp.gmx.de
> pop2@gmx.de -> fetched by kmail, sent through smtp.gmx.de
> imap@web.de -> fetched by offlineimap -> fetched from local imap by
> 	kmail, sent to local imap folder, synchronized by offlineimap
>
> Does this make sense? And no, baloo, I do NOT want to use mutt/exim..
>
> thanks
>
> joerg

Cyrus imap/exim on a local machine & whichever Mail User Agent I feel
like on whatever machine I am sat at works a treat for me I use Mutt,
pegasus(MS), & evolution on various machines for various reasond &
they all work.

Imap restricts your use of MUA abit but as you are using imap
remotly already you'll know that.

The only issue I have is that evolution ( & some others I beleive)
store a local cache of emails which is a bit of a waste, can get in
the way, & doesn't speed anything up on my network. I haven't tried
very hard to stop this, it may be possible.

Steve