Re: Intel Hyper Threading on Linux..

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 00:47, Louie Miranda wrote:
> Does Debian/Kernel? Support HT? Found this article on intel's website. and i
> just bought a new D865Perl Board. Just curious.. And how come redhat and
> suse are always on ads, well commercialzed linux.
I am not sure exactly Why you would want it for a Home machine.

The only real place I see it making a good bit of difference is in the
High TPC area or computing nodes. Reason being, it acts just like an SMP
system on a Single Processor. For all practical purposes Home computer
could only benefit from it if working on SETI or other such things.

But yes Linux in general does support it. If your specific kernel does
not take a look at the previous message I wrote about how to compile and
install your own Debian Kernel... Makes it a snap.

As for why just RedHat, SuSE and a few others are the only ones in
Advertisments... well RedHat and SuSE have some money... Debian is
nearly completely non-profit... hence no revenue stream to try and WIN
over.

> Linux* Operating System Desktop Based PCs
> The following Linux operating systems include optimizations for HT
> Technology and are currently eligible to carry the Intel® Pentium® 4
> Processor with HT Technology logo:
>   a.. Red Hat Linux* 9 (Professional and Personal versions)
>   b.. SuSE Linux* 8.2 (Professional and Personal versions)
>   c.. Red Flag Linux* Desktop 4.0

One other thing, in Windoze this is a Black Herring - Enabled Hyper
Threading, Microsoft considers it to be 2 processor per single
processor... and licenses it that way as well... as does most other
Windoze vendors like Oracle and DB2... Windows can't yet tell that only
one processor is there. Amazingly Windows 2003 Server doesn't do it
either (yet and maybe never will)
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net