Re: kernel compilation question

On Sunday 27 July 2003 9:47 pm, Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> Now that I'm fully moved over to Debian :-), I'm looking at start
> tinkering with kernel compilation.
>
> I would "assume" I'd need the kernel-source package of my choice? But it
> are there any other package(s) I'd need to download to get started?
>
> Thanks
I am not trying to say RTFM but read Debian Reference
(http://www.debian.org/doc/). There is a chapter about compiling the
kernel... Really, you need to read this.

Once said that, I do not use Debians packages to compile the kernel... they do
everything for you... I feel that if you are going to compile your own kernel
you should be aware of every step, but that's just me... and it is really
easy either way (Debians way or the manual way).

So the only package I need is the kernel per se, and gcc (2.95 or 3.2, I
always have problems with 3.3, and I seem to remember that this is a known
issue).

Also, not relying on Debian packagest allows you to use really up to date
versions of the kernel. For example I am running with a 2.6.0-test2 kernel,
released just a few hours!!

In Debian Reference there is an explanation for compiling the kernel "the
debian way" and for compiling it manually... and to be honest, I think both
ways are very easy... the "hard" part is not the compilation per se, or
making the proper changes so your system boots OK (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO UPDATE
LILO OR GRUB), but to configure the kernel (make menuconfig or however you do
it) properly... but this, like everything, is a trial an error thing... and
very instructive about the innards of the kernel.