Re: Some shell's problem

> Last, last thought. When I tried to setup some variables in
> ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc KDE seemed not to look at them. I have been
> told, though never tried it, that (assuming you are using KDM) as a
> graphical loggin manager, the "default" option will read these files !

Sorry, when I wrote my first response, I didn't think it all through,
either. On my installation I have added the following lines to my
/etc/X11/Xsession file, so that it sources my .profile, too:

if [ -f /etc/profile ]
then source /etc/profile ; fi
if [ -f $HOME/.profile ]
then source $HOME/.profile ; fi

Doing this should ensure your .profile doesn't only affect your
bash-sessions.

Hope this finally helps,
  Johannes

--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great
Dictator