Re: Re. WindowMaker 'applications' menu inoperative

chat:~$ whatis wmakerconf
wmakerconf (1)       - configure the Window Maker X window manager

I would suggest to take the following steps:
apt-get install wmakerconf
then run the little program, it has a nice graphical interface, it allows you to manipulate the menus.
If this doesn't help, check this site
http://largo.windowmaker.org/user-guide/toc.htm
I couldn't figure out how to resize the windows in windowmaker, and this site shows very nicely.
After this, the only thing that was stopping me from choosing window maker as my favorite window manager has dissapeared.