Re: Wanted to build: bare minimum Debian system

12 MB of RAM... I wished that my Toshiba T3600CT (laptop 486/50, 8 mb of
RAM and 512MB drive) had that much memory! I installed Sarge on it. I'm
using XFree86 3.3.6 since 4.2 doesn't support my old videocard. I both
used the 2.4 and 2.2 kernel (both minimalistically reconfigured). I am
not yet using wireless networking, just LAN networking (PCMCIA card). It
is working fine as a X terminal (X login in remote GDM). I do not have
much harddisk activity at all, when I open a new webpage often no HD
activity at all. If I get HD activity it is rarely for more than 1-2
second. So in your case it should be no problem. I tried to keep the
kernel (currently 2.4.20) as small as possible (image < 550 kb, hardly
any modules) and deactivated most of the init.d scripts. That's all.

Ronald