Re: wireless howto[s] indepth ???

Also sprach Michael D. Schleif (Fri 25 Jul 02003 at 10:17:17AM -0500):
> Yes, I have simple wireless networking working on several laptops.
>
> We have been tasked to analyze several expansive wireless networks for
> functional, performance and security issues.  So, we are investigating
> how far we can go with debian-based laptops?
>
> Yes, I have done several apt-cache search's, and found several
> applications that may serve us well.
>
> What we have not found is any website or howto that compares/contrasts
> any of these apps, or goes into detail as to what to do and what not to
> do.
>
> What do you think?

Here's a good example of our confusion:

   # uname -a
   Linux freya 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

   # sudo lsmod
   orinoco_cs              4680   2
   orinoco                29568   0  [orinoco_cs]
   hermes                  3296   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
   ds                      6624   2  [orinoco_cs]
   i82365                 22384   2
   pcmcia_core            41376   0  [orinoco_cs ds i82365]
   sb                      7296   0  (unused)
   sb_lib                 32224   0  [sb]
   uart401                 5984   0  [sb_lib]
   sound                  52844   0  [sb_lib uart401]
   soundcore               3204   5  [sb_lib sound]
   isa-pnp                27400   0  [sb]
   keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
   usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
   input                   3040   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
   usb-uhci               20676   0  (unused)
   usbcore                48000   1  [usbkbd usb-uhci]

Should airsnort work with this configuration?  I keep getting this
message:

   `Could not set monitor mode'

Google is decidedly silent about this error ;<

Or, kismet, another example, does not appear to like the orinoco gold
card:

   # sudo kismet_monitor
   Using //etc/kismet/kismet.conf sources...
   Enabling monitor mode for an orinoco card on eth0 channel 6
   Invalid command : monitor

   # sudo iwpriv eth0
   eth0      Available private ioctl :
             force_reset (8BE0) : set   0      & get   0
             card_reset (8BE1) : set   0      & get   0
             set_port3 (8BE2) : set   1 int  & get   0
             get_port3 (8BE3) : set   0      & get   1 int
             set_preamble (8BE4) : set   1 int  & get   0
             get_preamble (8BE5) : set   0      & get   1 int
             set_ibssport (8BE6) : set   1 int  & get   0
             get_ibssport (8BE7) : set   0      & get   1 int

We have seen reference to some `snax' patch; but, I have not found
anything debian about it.

Elsewise, there are the linux-wlan-ng-modules-*, all of which apparently
require kernels 2.4.20 and above; which, of course, begs the question:
is full wireless support a function of the kernel?

Moreover, are stock debian kernels adequate to all wireless tasks?  Or,
need we compile our own?

We are confused and no brighter for our research . . .

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds