Re: Set eth0 speed/duplex at boot?

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:34, Jeremy Brooks wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been searching for this, and seem to find the answer.  I have a box
> with a realtek controller.  The network is working, but some of our
> clients with this box need to force the speed and duplex to make their
> switches happy.  Can somebody give me some pointers on setting this at
> boot time?

Yep. If you are on a 2.4 kernel, there is a package called:

ethtool

syntax is something like:

ethtool -s eth0 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

Run it by itself to get the syntax for your particular
setting/environment.

Now where you put this in the bootup sequence is upto you. I typically
make a file called:

/etc/init.d/localmisc.sh

With all of my "localizations" in it. I call it from either bootmisc.sh
just before the ":exit 0" or add the proper symlinks to the proper
runlevel directories.

Hope that helps.