Re: Unstable Packages

Marcelo Macchi wrote:
Hi there, I'm Marcelo from Argentina and I have download the last version of wine for my debian linux, but I have the problem that the wine libraries and all the packages of new versions use other packages that are unstable. I want to know if there is a way to setup my apt program to download all the unstable packages from the Debian.org web without to download one by one. Thanks for your Help Marcelo
Hi Marcelo:

Make your /etc/apt/preferences file like the enclosed preferences file. I do not know which release of debian you are using. I am using 'testing', so you may have to alter the preferences file. Add an entry to your /etc/apt/sources.list file to point to the 'unstable' version.

Use dselect (or apt-get) to 'update' your system.
Use 'apt-get install -t unstable wine' to install wine.
Any other pckages that wine needs will also be installed from 'unstable'.

You can use 'apt-get -s install -t unstable wine' to simulate the install. This way you can see what 'apt-get' would have installed. Be sure to read 'man apt-get'.

HTH
Charles

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing