Linux 2.6.0-test1, PCMCIA modem

Greetings!

I'm trying to figure out how to get 2.6.0-test1 running on a laptop.
I've gotten it to run fine on many desktop systems, but on the laptop I
just can't seem to figure out what I'm supposed to do in order to get a
PCMCIA modem to work (the laptop has internal eth0, and a Winmodem).

Right now it boots up just fine with the modem card plugged in, but no
modem.  When I unplug the card and plug it back in, cardmgr (from the
Debian sid pcmcia-cs package) says:  'Module serial_cs not found'.  I've
also got the Debian sid hotplug and module-init-tools packages
installed.

When I try to build the pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 packages the configure fails.
With 'cardbus = y' it says I must turn this option off.  With it off,
the configure fails with '2.5.0 and later kernels require that PCMCIA be
configured in the kernel source tree.'  But:

    CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
    CONFIG_PCMCIA_PROBE=y

is in my /boot/config-2.6.0-test1

Does anyone know how to get a PCMCIA modem to work under 2.6.0-test1?

Thanks,

Chris
--
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at: