Re: Unable to configure PS/2 Mouse in woody!

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 21:00, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> SRIKANTH NS wrote:
>
> > I installed debian woody (3.0 r0)after wiping RH7.3. Machine Celeron
> > 900MHz, 128 MB RAM, i815e M/B ( Kobian brand ,16MB shared RAM) already
> > having Win98
> > and MDK9.1.
> >
> > Installation went alright. Only X was the problem.
> > Error message was that unix fontpath having problem.
> > So I commented out the line unixfontpath :7100 in /etc/XF86Config-4
> > file.
>
> The line is for the X font server xfs. Do
>
> apt-get install xfs
>
> if you want to use it.
>
> > Again errors, this time mouse goes unrecognised.
> > It is a PS2 Logitech Mouse in a PS/2 port.
> > It was detected without any problem in the earlier redhat and present
> > MDK9.1 and Win98 too.
> > Why it is so in debian?
> > Can anybody point any workaround to get X ?
>
> Please check your config file and see if the mouse device is set to
> /dev/psaux. You can reconfigure XFree with debconf. Type
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
> It would be easier to say what exactly the problem is if you gave us more
> information. The InputDevice section(s) of your XFree86Config(-4) would
> be helpful, as well as information from your XFree log file
> (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) regarding the mouse.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen
>
> --
> Andreas Janssen
> andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com
> PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
> Registered Linux User #267976

It may be that the configuration is looking for you mouse under
/dev/mouse instead of the real device. I don't remember the default.
try as root
ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse
and see if it helps.
Also look at the error message and try to see where it looks for the
mouse at.
Is it a usb mouse or serial mouse, if so then if I am not mistaken you
need
/dev/input/mice
and make sure that you have the usb modules loaded.