Re: Logging into gdm as root

Bill K wrote:

Hi. I just installed debian woody and have gdm installed along with gnome
(and sawfish).  For some reason I cannot log into X as the root user.

This is the normal default behaviour, as you would normally never need to do this. If you feel you must, there is a setting in the gdm configuration file (not difficult to find), which will allow root to log in.

Furthermore, I cannot use pon to establish a ppp connection as the non-root
user. Does anyone have any solutions to either of these problems. Thanks.

As root, do this (assuming your user id is "bill"):

# adduser bill dip

Then log all the way out and back in again, and you will be able to use pon.

--
Cheers,

  .~.
  /V\