Advise on avoiding spammers

Hi,

I run my own small email server for my home network using sendmail
(fully patched), I have set it up to deny relaying for another domain
apart from my own, just lately I've been getting a lot of spam from
China and Taiwan, most are forging the from address (naturally), below
are some examples:

The weird one just arrived yesterday, they sent it to a non valid
account, in my virtusertable, I have specified anything else that
doesn't match the listed names, send back an error msg, yet these one
got through.

z.TXT@mail.funkypenguin.net
111.txt@mail.funkypenguin.net
36.txt@mail.funkypenguin.net

There are around a another 50 bogus accounts supplied in the To field,
all to something@mail.funkypenguin.net, this has been automated by some
script.

What I'm having problems working out is how can they manage to get
through, when not a single email address is valid, testing one of these
addresses from either home or work, all report back an error to me and
the mail isn't sent.

I know I can put a few rules on the firewall to stop the IP or domain,
but does anyone know of a way in sendmail that I could stop this
happening without resorting to using say procmail

Cheers

Mark