Re: Problem with apt

> I am using debian, linux kernel 2.4.21, unstable.
> I recently updated my system applications and have developed a problem
> with all the applications that use debconf because debconf won't
> configure.  The debconf version is 1.3.4.  The other applications are
> dependent on this.  If I try to remove debconf, then most of my other
> applications will be removed also due to dependency issues.
> The error I get when I do a dpkg-reconfigure debconf is
> Use of uninitialized value in exists at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.  I get this message
> two times and then a note about debconf being broken or not fully
> installed.
Hi Michael,

There's something wrong with your debconf cache (/var/cache/debconf/, if
you didn't change the default debconf configuration).

To get debconf running again, move the files located there out of the
way and do the dpkg-reconfigure. If you want to save your cache, you'll
have to take a closer look at what exactly is wrong with it - if you don't
care, you can just delete those files.

I had the same problem a couple of months ago, and mine was unrecoverable,
i.e. I had to clean the cache.

HTH,

Jan C. Nordholz