Re: Problem with apt

I am using debian, linux kernel 2.4.21, unstable.
I recently updated my system applications and have developed a problem
with all the applications that use debconf because debconf won't
configure.  The debconf version is 1.3.4.  The other applications are
dependent on this.  If I try to remove debconf, then most of my other
applications will be removed also due to dependency issues.
The error I get when I do a dpkg-reconfigure debconf is
Use of uninitialized value in exists at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/DbDriver/Cache.pm line 29.  I get this message
two times and then a note about debconf being broken or not fully
installed.
Can someone give me an idea of what I can do, short of reinstalling the
system to remedy this situation?  I have tried --forcing the commands
but they don't have any effect on this problem.
Thanks,
Michael