Re: First mail from my Linux

John Foster wrote:

Jianan Huang wrote:

Hi folks,

This is my first mail from my first Linux installation. It means I have got Debian GNU/Linux, X-Window and Mozilla all running. I feel good. There re some fine tuning to be done.

1) xdm-log showed an error msg about not being able to open Xwrapper.config because it was not found. This that a red-herring since everything seemed to be working fine?

/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config _should_ exist. I'm not sure how you're starting X without it. Perhaps as root? If so, don't do that. " dpkg -S Xwrapper.config" shows this file to be in the package "xerver-common". Perhaps you need to (re)install/reconfigure this package? You can reconfigure it with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common"; it should ask a question like "Allow all users at the console to start X", which is what sets the Xwrapper.config file.

2) I have to open a Bash window to 'pon' before entering Mozilla and leave Mozilla to do a 'poff'. Can these be done from within Mozilla?

Sounds like what you want is an autodialer. Not having to use dial-up anymore (Yea! for cable modems! Woot!), I'm not familiar with them, but the command "apt-cache search dial|more" turned up "diald" which looks like it might be what you want.

3) Font size of characters in text windows such as Bash, Xterm etc. are too small. How to adjust them ?

Fonts are beyond my ken; sorry.

4) Is there a GUI for the Linux file system such as window-xplorer for MS-Window?

If you run KDE, the Konqueror/Browser thingie. If you have Gnome, I believe it's Nautilus. There are others, but I seldom use them. The command "apt-cache search file | grep manag | more" turns up such things as gmc, emelfm, endeavour2, fdclone, etc.

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)