Re: Copying a dvd movie

OK, I'm falling for it. Could we please all try to keep this one small and
civil afterwards?

On Monday 21 July 2003 22:36, Jeff Wiegley, Ph.D. wrote:
> Let's see, you can spend a week trying to get DVD::rip
> working and the associated stuff like transcode
> that it needs, and dvdcss and all the codecs...
>
> Or for $100 you can simply download dvdXcopy and get
> it running on your windows box in under five minutes.

I'm a student. $100 are a lot of money for me. So I decided not to reinstall
Windows and spent the two or three hours it took me to get dvd::rip, xvid and
transcode running. We're talking $33/hour here, so that's not all too bad
compared to spending 20% of a monthly income on a program you'll perhaps run
once on any new DVD you buy.

> wah, wah, wah. cry all you want about windows vs linux.
> DVD::rip didn't copy entire DVDs with all features the
> last time I checked (only the main title)

You can select what title you want, rip single chapters, encode to OGM
containers (plays fine on Win with the DS filter), to SVCD and run it
distributed (although that's a hell to set up and doesn't work properly). It
doesn't do stuff like DVD navigation though.

> Time *IS* money and nobody is going
> to reimburse you just because you worshiped linux.

Now, "worship" is a little hard. I am not a zealot and holy smiting may
overcome all those who mighteth thinketh otherwise...th. It's just that I
can't use the "evil" OS because it's been taking ten minutes to boot (no
kidding), even after a fresh install, for about half a year now. Nobody knows
why.

> DVD access/reading/playing/usage is definitely an area
> where linux loses.

Yep. And I think we all can lay our differences aside when searching for the
guilty.

--
Got Backup?