Re: Solved LCDproc client problem!

On Monday 21 July 2003 16:18, Rthoreau wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2003 14:45, Rthoreau wrote:
> > On Saturday 12 July 2003 23:24, you wrote:
> > > I have a CrystalFontz 20x4 lcd without keypad, that I am trying
> > > to get LCDproc setup on.
> > >  I am using the current stable version .0.4.3.
> > >
> > > The LCDd is working ok, I have the server screen displaying on
> > > my lcd with the main LCDd heartbeat.  It is just waiting for a
> > > client to connect, when I run lcdproc and give it parameters
> > > the last thing I see is the server screen saying 1 client is
> > > connected then everything goes black.  If I ctrl c out of the
> > > terminal I started lcdproc I get back the server screen.  Also
> > > if I start a text, or ncurses session along with the CFonts
> > > session in LCDd I get the text showing some system specs that I
> > > specified when starting lcdproc.  But the lcd screen is still
> > > black.
> > >
> > > I searched lcdproc.org archives but no one has any answers or
> > > has given any good advice about how to solve the problem.  The
> > > only thing people are suggesting is use the CVS stable which is
> > > .0.4.4. After looking for the change logs on CVS .0.4.4 it
> > > doesn't look like they fixed anything else .0.4.3 doesn't
> > > cover.
> > >
> > > In my user.log file I see this:
> > >
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: drivers_getkey()
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: Screen->Client List has timeout->-1
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: drivers_getkey()
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: Screen->Client List has timeout->-1
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: drivers_getkey()
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: Screen->Client List has timeout->-1
> > >  Raiz-MPX LCDd: drivers_getkey()
> > >
> > > This is repeated about 20 times everytime I start the LCDd or
> > > lcdproc.
> > >
> > > I did read on one of the archives that this might be normal,
> > > but I really do not know.
> > >
> > > This is my LCDd.conf CFontz driver section:
> > > [CFontz]
> > > # CrystalFontz driver
> > > # Select the output device to use [/dev/lcd]
> > > Device=/dev/ttyS1
> > > # Select the LCD type (size) [20x4]
> > > Size=20x4
> > > # Set the initial contrast [140]
> > > Contrast=140
> > > # The backlight brightness settings are retrieved
> > > # from the serversection now. And can therefore be
> > > # modified from the server menu now.
> > > # Set the communication speed [9600]
> > > # possible values: 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200
> > > Speed=19200
> > > # Set the firmware version (New means >= 2.0) [no]
> > > # if set, set Speed to 19200
> > > NewFirmware=yes
> > > # Reinitialize the LCD's BIOS [no]
> > > # normally you shouldn't need this
> > > Reboot=yes
> > >
> > > In the server section everything is default except the CFontz
> > > drive is selected.  To me it seems everything is setup right
> > > because the LCDd is showing me the server screen.  I think it
> > > is a lcdproc client problem.
> > >
> > > I am using an SMP machine here is my uname -a line.
> > > Linux Raiz-MPX 2.4.21 #1 SMP Thu Jul 3 15:33:22 CDT 2003 i686
> > > GNU/Linux

> [...]

 Just wanted to say I solved my problem, I was going through my
 system with aptitude and upgrading some programs, purging some
 others.

 Well after aptitude finished I changed to single user mode init 1,
 I know it was not needed, and tidied up a bit.  Then I went to
 regular runlevel and decided to give lcdproc a shot again, this
 time it worked.

 Gave me all the goodness I was looking for it feels good to have
 everything working, my white on blue lcd looks great and I really
 like the options.

 I believe it was a lcdproc update instead of using version .0.4.3 I
 am now using version 0.4.3-13.  So if you have any problems with
 the lcdproc try using a newer version.  This saves me from
 following another mailing list, and trouble shooting my lcd, or
 being a BETA tester for lcdproc.

 Anyway got to love LCD's I would reccomend them to anyone, it gives
 vital information at a glance instead of going through different
 programs like top, others.

 Rthoreau