Re: 120 GB hard drive on old P75

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 01:19, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:50:13AM -0700, Carl D. Blake wrote:
> > Jul 11 14:31:46 gondolin kernel: hdc: IC35L060AVVA07-0, ATA DISK drive
> > Jul 11 14:31:46 gondolin kernel: hdd: , ATA DISK drive
>
> Your kernel is having trouble "contacting" hdd with the question:
> "Hi, what's your name?".  This could imply that there are other
> problems for example with: "Hi, what's your capacity?"
>
> Some drives simply  don't work with certain other drives. So, can you
> try if the 120G drive works when it isn't slave to the IBM drive?

I've tried the drive alone - it still has the same problem.  As I said
earlier, it works fine on another computer (Pentium 200) that doesn't
have a cmd640 IDE chipset.  I've come to the conclusion that this drive
is just not going to work on that old of a computer.  I'm still puzzled
as to why the 60G works fine, but the 120G does not.  Anyway I've
decided to use the Pentium 200 computer for my mirroring server instead
of the older Pentium 75.

> Speaking of which... You have a 60G IBM drive. Those sometimes
> suddenly break down. You do have good backups or "no important stuff
> on that drive" don't you?

I hadn't heard that there were problems with 60G IBM/Hitachi drives.
Right now it's being used for a mirror, but I was planning to use it for
the main drive on another linux system.  How unreliable are these
drives?

> (Some people say: "Oh, but those break down in the first 3-6 months,
> mine's been working for over a year now, so I'm safe." Yeah! Right!
> Anything but my data.)
>
> 			Roger.
>
> --
> ** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
> *-- BitWizard writes Linux device drivers for any device you may have! --*
> * I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was going to blame it on you. *
>

> --
Carl D. Blake
Director of Engineering
Boeckeler Instruments, Inc.