Re: Choice of MTA

    "Haines" == Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> writes:

    Haines> I don't want to start a flame war, but need some input in
    Haines> order to choose a mail transport agent.

A flame war you will start ;-)

There was a recently (in the last week or so) a long, noisy thread on
debian-devel about what the default Debian MTA should be. I'd
recommend you go read the archives.

    Haines> many years, but need a comparison), postfix (which I
    Haines> gather is readily configured to solve a problem I'm

It might help the quality of the replies you get if you told us what
the specific problem was.

    Haines> My aim is to use the MTA with rmail (emacs) and mutt in a
    Haines> text rather than gui environment on a standalone

This is not really a criteria for an MTA choice.

    Haines> workstation. Stability, debian friendliness,
    Haines> straightforward configuration, and spam blocking are my
    Haines> principle concerns. The problem is that these parameters
    Haines> generally seem marginal to the choice of MTA, and so I'm
    Haines> left wondering which way to turn.

I can personally recommend that you go with exim first. It is
relatively friendly, configurable (straightforward? I don't know that
any MTA is that), Debian friendly, and known to be stable. The
eximconfig program will set up exim correctly for most people most of
the time.

Cheers!
Shyamal