Re: Linux commands

GLS-Ausmines wrote:

I am new to Linux, just installed Debian 3.0r1 to and including the basic setup. The OS appears in text mode, and I could not get further than logging in, having no clue of OS commands. Questions:- 1. Is there any Internet access to Linux commands? (I have not found any at Debian and Redhat sites.)

Assuming you have networking installed/configured, you can use "lynx" or "links" or other apps or text-mode web browsing; you can use ftp and sftp and telnet and ssh; you can use exim+mutt for mail, etc etc etc.

Try something like "lynx www.google.com" to go to Google. If you get something like "lynx: command not found", try "apt-get install lynx" and then try the web.

2. Gnome, KDE, X  interfaces do not appear - How to invoke them?

You probably don't have enough of the X-related packages installed. Try installing the following:

xbase-fonts
xbase-clients
xserver-xfree86
kde

and see how far along that gets you.

As it is, the installed Linux is a dead page.
Thanks. G.L. Seymour

--
Kent West (westk@acu.edu)