Re: Loading agpgart (Was: Loading drm)

 --- Jerry Van Brimmer <jerryvb@toast.net> escribió:

> Thank you for the info. I think I'd like to go with a debianized 2.4.20
> kernel.
> Is deselect a good way to install it?

Yes.  Just select it in dselect.  When the download finishes, untar the source
tree and in /usr/src create a symlink called "linux" to kernel-source-2.4.20.
Then untar the nVidia driver tarball and copy the linux-2.4.20-agpgart.diff
patch to /usr/src/linux.  Change directory into /usr/src/linux and execute
'patch -p1 < linux-2.4.20-agpgart.diff' to actually patch the source.

Now configure the kernel and under "Character devices" select the /dev/agpgart
support and under that select the nVidia support.  Build your kernel with
kernel-package and install it.

If your mobo has onboard nVidia audio and network, you need to reboot with the
new kernel.  After reboot, change into /usr/src and create a symlink called
"linux-2.4.20" that points to kernel-srouce-2.4.20 (that is the directory the
nVidia Makefile looks for).  Change into the nforce directory created by
untarring the nVidia tarball and execute 'make' and then 'make install' (the
last one as root).  You can then 'modprobe nvaudio' and 'modprobe nvnet' to
load the drivers.

Add these lines to /etc/modutils/aliases:

alias eth0 nvnet
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
alias usb-interface usb-ohci

and then add lines for nvnet and nvaudio to /etc/modules.

Then you are done.  Let me know if you need clarification on anything else.

-Roberto

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es