Re: Loading drm

Antony Gelberg wrote:
On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 04:29:29PM -0700, Jerry Van Brimmer wrote:

I was trying to install the agpgart module using modconf, into my kernel, when I got this message:

Installing module agpgart. If the device isn't there, or isn't configured correctly, this could cause your system to pause for up to a minute.

/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: init_module: No such device Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
     You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o failed /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/char/agp/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart failed

Installation failed.

In syslog it says this:

Jul 19 15:17:42 debian kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann Jul 19 15:17:42 debian kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 690M
Jul 19 15:17:42 debian kernel: agpgart: unsupported bridge
Jul 19 15:17:42 debian kernel: agpgart: no supported devices found.

Using kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4

What does al this mean?

You need to add agp_try_unsupported=1 as an option when loading the
module.  I think modconf gives you an option to do this.  I also
remember doing this because the module recommended it when I tried to
load it.  But perhaps I read it somewhere else.  Did you snip the
above error messages?

Anyway, modconf kindly added the following file to my system:

brain:/etc/modutils# cat /etc/modutils/agpgart options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
brain:/etc/modutils#

Antony

Thanks for the tip. I also have the same file:

jerry@debian:/etc/modutils$ cat /etc/modutils/agpgart
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1
jerry@debian:/etc/modutils$

But, when I look in modconf, it shows a "-" sign after agpgart, indicating that it is not installed, but it is. What would I have to do to straighten this out?

Jerry