Re: configuring DHCLIENT-2.2.x

    "Lars" == Lars Unin <lars_unin@linuxmail.org> writes:

    Lars> I have a vanilla Debian Woody, no X, I'd like to configure
    Lars> DHCLIENT to query the broadband DHCP server to get itself up
    Lars> and running, I can do this really easy with 2.4 based
    Lars> systems with DHCPCD, but I've never used this tool before,
    Lars> and alas the man page is, well, *undescriptive* and Google
    Lars> pulls up nothing of use.

Okay, try and give us more *information* so we can help.

What kernel version are you using. Exactly. (uname -r).

What is the output of dpkg -l 'dhcp*' | grep ^i showing. Does it show
that you have dhcp-client 2.0pl5-11 installed (on Woody, or later if
you or on sarge/sid).

How is your broadband connection set up. Do you have a router between
your ethernet cable and the connection?

Is it DSL?

If DSL, do your require PPPoE because your ethernet cable is directly
connected to the DSL modem?

    Lars> Assume the network card is loaded up properly. It is anyway.

So 'ifconfig eth0' (or eth* whatever) shows a proper system?

Finally, you say it does not work? How do you know this? Is it
ifconfig output? Or is it that the network does not come up.

And please, please post replies to the list!

Cheers!
Shyamal