Re: Has debian an online updater?

On Sat, 2003-07-19 at 06:34, Tamer Higazi wrote:
>  About Online Update....
>
> Hi!
> I am interested to get Debian GNU Linux but i am not sure because i have
> asked myself if Debian Linux has a way for updating the system online. I
> have on my machine SuSE Linux 8.2 running and i have the chance to
> update my system with one click when i am online. The Yast2 Online
> Updater updates the packages if there is something new.
>
> How about Debian?! Is there a Online Updater where i click ones and the
> system is updated for example to a newer version KDE / Gnome or a new X
> windows Server?

Debian seems to have the best in the business (although they're not in
business, of course).

I recommend you use aptitude, rather than apt-get for this.  It's easy
to search packages this way, easy to pin the few you may want to hold
for compatibility, easy to un-pin them to experiment.  It provides
useful context for looking at the situation.

Any proprietary distro will be making decisions about what to "update"
you to, and when.  Debian gives you some more freedom about this.

I switched to Debian because it seems closer to "standard" than what I'd
worked with (for years) before - SuSE, RedHat, and Mandrake.  When I
looked at How-tos and advice on the web, I found some of it didn't jibe
with the proprietary distros - they put different things in non-standard
places, so stepping outside what they provide required lots of
specialized, not-usable-anywhere-else study.  I might as well educate
myself on Window$...

Cheers,
Bret

bwaldow at alum.mit.edu