Solution: Closing Port 1024 (wdm or xdm)

Hello,

Some of you may recall that awhile ago I posted a question about closing
port 1024.  Unfortunately, I received no solutions.

With some more googling, I finally understood the problem and the
solution: wdm is derived from xdm, and (for the purposes of this post)
can be considered the same.  xdm wants to listen on port 1024, which
opens up an unnecessary external port to the world.  The way to
disable this is to edit the file:

	/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config   [ or /etc/X11/wdm/wdm-config ]

and add this line:

	DisplayManager.requestPort:	0

Then restart xdm and you're done.

Oddly enough, while trying different solutions, I noticed that wdm would
not open up port 1024 after I killed the process (by default, wdm
restarts itself when it is killed).  This leads to false positives.  So
I rebooted my machine (a laptop) just to double check.

~ Jesse Meyer

PS:  Found most of the information at
http://www.xcf.berkeley.edu/~paolo/security/securing-linux.html

PPS: Since /etc/services lists the KDE Display Manager as also using this
port, you might want to check what is actually bound to the port using
'fuser -v -u 1024/tcp', before you 'fix' the wrong problem.

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night