Re: XFree86 4.3 in Woody

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 11:28, James Strandboge wrote:

> I can save you the trouble.  They won't do it because of conflicts with
> other parts of woody.  Adrian Bunk has an openoffice.org that will work
> with later freetype and fontconfig-- however these later freetype and
> fontconfig packages will conflict with gnome2.2 backport.
>
> All is not lost-- perhaps there is another xfree86 4.3 that doesn't need
> the later fontconfig and freetype.

Alas.  All is lost.  I tried to compile xfree86 4.3 on my gnome2.2 woody
backport, and it requires freetype 2.1.3.  Installing this version of
freetype will prevent semi-offical openoffice.org from being installed
(but adrian bunk has it) and gnome2.2 backport.

You _could_ try to install xlibs 4.2.1 from the gnome2.2 backport-- this
would allow you to use the xfree86 4.3 drivers, semi-official
openoffice.org and gnome2.2 backport on woody.  However, I don't know
how great it would be to mix xlibs 4.2.1 and the rest of xfree86 at 4.3.

You may want to try testing-- it has an almost complete gnome2.2 with
the new freetype and fontconfig.  I believe you can get openoffice.org
on it, and somebody has to have xfree86 4.3 for it too.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com
GPG/PGP ID:   26384A3A