Re: XFree86 4.3 in Woody

On Fri, Jul 18, 2003 at 03:36:51PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst trying to see if the Gnome 2.2. backport was conflicting with the
> XFree 4.3 backport that I was already using, I realised that my xlibs
> had been kept back and was still at v4.1.
>
> So I removed xlibs (and the many dependants), removed the Gnome line
> from my sources.list, did an apt-get update, and apt-get install xlibs.
>
> And this is my error:
> brain:/home/antgel# apt-get install xlibs
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.
>
> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
> that package should be filed.
>
> Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>   xlibs: Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.1) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.1.3-5) but it is not going to be
> 	   installed
> 	   E: Sorry, broken packages
> 	   brain:/home/antgel#

The plot thickens.  I solved it in the end by adding:
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/freetype/i386/ ./
deb http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/fontconfig/i386/ ./

Turned out to be a problem with openoffice:
brain:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-get install openoffice.org-bin
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  openoffice.org-bin: Depends: libfreetype6 (< 2.1.0) but 2.1.3-7 is to
  be installed
  E: Sorry, broken packages
  brain:/var/cache/apt/archives#

I need the later libfreetype6.  I'll have to have a word with the
openoffice.org maintainers and see if there's a workaround.

Antony