Gnome2 in Testing

Can anyone tell me if Gnome in Testing is anywhere near usable?

I'm using sid, but frankly I'm being distracted from doing real
work: I find both the Mozilla Navigator and Mozilla ThunderBird
browsers pretty well unusable, & I'm having a hard time getting
real work done--I think stepping back to Mozilla 1.0.0 would be
a major improvement, I'm sorry to say.

I'd even step down to Woody if I had to, except that Perl 5.8.0
and MySQL 4.0.13 are important to me.  The unofficial backports
have sucked for me (especially with Mozilla), taking that route
doesn't appeal.