Re: GeForce4 card

At 01:41 PM 7/17/2003 -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 03:27:11PM -0400, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> At 08:11 PM 7/17/2003 +0100, john gennard wrote:
> >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>
> >(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> >(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice       No such
> >device.
> >(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
> >(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
>
> The "EE" lines are pointing to references to a mouse set up on a DEVFS
> system. You may not be running that... Are your disk drives referred to
> /dev/hdaX, where X is a number, or a longer, more informative designation ??
>
> Edit your XF86Config file and change the references to "\dev\input\mice" to
> "\dev\psaux".

Based on the copied output, /dev/psaux is already there and loaded.  The
default XF86Config-4 seems to include to mouse definitions, /dev/psaux
and /dev/input/mice.  I have both in my config and have seen no problems
from them.

Are you using DEVFS ?? I don't and seem to recall either removing the entries for /dev/input/mice or commenting them out. I probably wouldn't have done that unless there was a problem that brought this "section" to my attention. ;-)

If you are using DEVFS, it sets up symlinks from the "new" device names to the old-style names, doesn't it ?? In the case of XFree86, that's obviously unnecessary though.

Regards
Hall