Re: CD access OK but new X86 problem

Hello

Jianan Huang wrote:

> I installed x-window-system. But it wouldn't run. When I do a 'startx',
> there was an error message:
>
> "(EE) Unable to open/locate config file.
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screen find"
>
> I searched through /etc/X11. There wasn't any X86Config file. There was
> a XftConfig command script file.
>
> What's wrong?

Well, it is obvious: you don't have a config file for your X server. To
solve this problem, you have several choices. I recommend to use debconf
to configure XFree. Type "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" as root.
Debconf will ask you some questions, among them which driver to use for
your graphic card, what protocol to use for your mouse and some info
about your monitor. The other way is to use the configuration tools that
come with XFree, for example xf86config and xf86cfg.

Debconf will name the config file XF86Config-4, xf86cfg will name it
XF86Config. X will try to use  XF86Config-4 first and only look for the
other one if it can't find the first one.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen