XFree86 SiS driver - unofficial .debs available

There are (experimental and unofficial) Debian packages available for the SiS X driver and sisctrl, the SiS Display Control Panel.

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

For stable:
deb http://www.winischhofer.net/sis/debian/stable ./

For unstable:
deb http://www.winischhofer.net/sis/debian/unstable ./

For apt-src usage:

stable: deb-src http://www.winischhofer.net/sis/debian/stable ./
unstable: deb-src http://www.winischhofer.net/sis/debian/unstable ./

Testing should work with the unstable versions.

Basically, there are two packages provided:

-) sisxdriver works similar to msttcorefonts: It downloads and installs the (then current) X driver from my website. The package does not contain the driver itself.

-) sisctrl contains the sisctrl utility.

As for the source, you may want to use apt-src; two packages are provided, sisxdriver and sisctrl. sisxdriver does not contain the X driver source, but the source of the installation package. sisctrl contains the complete source for sisctrl and can be built by debian/rules binary.

For stable, there is only one "binary" package available: sisxdriver. Since I don't have a system running stable, I cannot provide binary packages for stable otherwise. sisctrl must hence be built from source (or you can try the version for unstable, perhaps it works).

For unstable, sisxdriver and sisctrl are both available as binary and as source packages.

The XFree86 SiS driver binary is originally contained in the xserver-xfree86 package. Installing the sisxdriver package will at the same time install a "diversion" of the original SiS XFree86 driver, meaning that an eventual update of xserver-xfree86 will not overwrite the driver installed by sisxdriver.

These packages are relatively new and I'd welcome testing results (per private mail)

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria