Re: Suggestions on choosing an IMAP server

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 19:07, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi D-U :)
>
> I'm going to switch from pop3 to imap, and I'd like to know what you guys
> think is the best debian packaged IMAP server, and why.
>
> I'd really like to use MailDir mailboxes.
>
> Thanks.

Although it seems that courier-imap is the most popular imap server for
debian users, I have been using cyrus imap for about 1.5 yrs now and
have been quite satisfied with it.

The reason that I selected cyrus over courier was that it provided me
with the ability to use fetchmail to retrieve my email from all of my
pop3 mailboxes and forward the mail via lmtp into the imap store,
because cyrus provides an lmtp daemon; this means that I don't have to
run a full smtp daemon. I could not figure out whether courier does or
does not include the capability to recieve incoming messages via lmtp.

A drawback to cyrus is that, last time I checked, both stable and
testing included only an older version of cyrus; the most recent (2.x)
series is only in unstable. I d/l'd the latest sources and compiled them
myself, which turns out to be somewhat difficult - there were a lot of
glitches and gotchas which held me up for some time before I got
everything sorted out. I did this for my home server; when I tried to
install a later cyrus version in setting up my office's server (both, at
the time, woody) I ran into a _different_ set of gotchas. Once I had
them up and running, however, they have worked perfectly.

nl