Re: mondo/mindi restore fails

Op di 15-07-2003, om 17:16 schreef Benedict Verheyen:
> Hi,
>
> i tested mondo mindi for a full backup of my system and i ran into some
> problems. The creation of the cd's works, as does the booting of the
> recovery cd (after adding initrd to the kernel config).
> However, after i boot from the first cd, and type interactively, it
> can't find the command mondo-restore. which mondo-restore on the
> recovery cd turns up /usr/bin/mondo-restore.
> There is also a /usr/bin/mondorestore.
>
> However when i try to run these commands, i get this:
> ./mondorestore: No such file or directory.
> or
> ./mondo-restore: No such file or directory.
>
> Weird because i can see the files.
> Then i did ctrl-alt-F7 and i saw this:
> waiting for Petris to appear blah-blah-blah: No such file or directory
>
> Then ctrl-alt-F8 has this output:
> calling post_init
> ... list of mount points and devices
> mondo-restore found; cool
> Turning mondo-restore from a hyperlink into an executable
> -- INTERACTIVE --
>
> And then nothing happens.
> Anybody else know what's going on? I already wasted 9 cd's and i don't
> feel like burning some more.
>
> Thanks,
> Benedict

Some more info:
mondo version 1.62-2 (unstable)
mindi version 0.81-1.1 (unstable)

I retried several times with a cdrw (that contained a previous backup
using simple mkisofs and cdrecord) to test.
This is the command that i used
mondoarchive -O -w 8 -s 650m -I /home/benedict -k FAILSAFE -d 0,0,0 -l
GRUB -f /dev/hda

I've tried using the -k FAILSAFE option and my own kernel via
-k /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21.15072003 (which is a kernel with initrd support
compiled in but no initrd image specified in grub)
Nothing seems to work (1)

I have to specify -l GRUB -f /dev/hda otherwise the mindi script fails
with: FATAL ERROR - Please specify your boot loader and device.

As you can see i use grub and it's installed on /dev/hda (windows hd)
and my debian is installed on /dev/hdb
I don't really understand why i have to specify this when i use the
FAILSAFE kernel. Where is that FAILSAFE kernel located anyway?
It always seems to take one of my kernels no matter what i specify.

(1) This means that i can boot from the cd allright but the postinit
script fails on creating of the dirs for lib. Also grep is not found.
It seems as if only half of the commands work after booting from that
cd and the other return "No such file or directory" even if i can see
them. When i use my kernel i use the default size (4096) for my ramdisk
size. Could this be a problem?

Also, when i mount the cd after creation, i can see the mondorestore
program and i can run it (/usr/share/mondorestore)

1) Any other stuff i could try?

2) Is there a backup program that is similar to Mondo that does full
restores or selective restores of files from a bootable cdrom?
That was why i wanted to try Mondo in the first place: if disaster
strikes, you can restore the full system from a bootable cd.
I really do not want to install a base system first and then mess around
with dpkg --set-selections and copying config files.

Thanks,
Benedict