Re: apt-get and proxy setting

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:56:47AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
   > On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 04:18:07PM +0200, debian-user-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
   > > Hello,
   > >
   > > I am facing some problems in getting apt-get to retrieve files through
   > > http proxy setting. I tried the following:
   > >
   > >    1. Set the environment variable as
   > >
   > >          export  HTTP_PROXY="http://203.195.221.129:3128";
   > >
   > >       Still when I give apt-get update, I get messages telling that
   > >       connection is refused from the hosts (www.debian.org,
   > >       marillat.free.fr, et al.)
   > >
   > >    2. Created /etc/apt.conf as below:
   > >
   > >         APT {
   > >           Acquire {
   > >              http {
   > >                Proxy "http://203.195.221.129:3128";;
   > >              };
   > >           };
   > >         };
   > >
   > >       Still the same result.
   > >
   > > Browsing the docs threw up the second solution.
   > >
   > > My question is how can I make apt-get to retrieve the files with the
   > > above setting? FWIW, I am able to download files using wget by putting
   > > the above setting in /etc/wgetrc.
   >
   > AFAIK you also have to make sure that the sources.list contains
   > repositories with the correct fetch method, i.e. http.

I do have them. In fact, I wan not facing any problems with apt-get. One
fine day, browsers, wget et al. stopped working and on enquiry came to
know that the isp had introduced the proxy server. It is from that point
of time, I am getting this error. OK, here is the snippet from my
sources.list:

   deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free

   # Security updates for woody
   deb http://security.debian.org/ woody/updates main contrib non-free

   # MPlayer
   deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main

Here is the output:
brahman:~# apt-get update
Err http://marillat.free.fr testing/main Packages
  Could not connect to marillat.free.fr:80 (212.27.35.5). - \
    connect (111 Connection refused) [IP: 212.27.35.5 80]
Err http://marillat.free.fr testing/main Release
  Could not connect to marillat.free.fr:80 (212.27.35.5). - \
    connect (111 Connection refused) [IP: 212.27.35.5 80]

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Enjoy your life; be pleasant and gay, like the birds in May.