Re: Can't print from apps

On 16 Jul 2003, J. Buchanan wrote:
> Please reply to me as well as the list since I can't subscibe to high volume
> lists without my internet connection choking :)
>
> My lprng with a Kyocera Mita FS-1010 printer seems to work really well - the
> KDE printer preferences dialogue sends a test page fine, as do other tools to
> test the printer.  I have a PPD installed for my printer, have a correct
> /etc/printcap (I hope, please see below), have foomatic-rip.pl installed,
> foomatic-gswrapper, and my printer is on /dev/lp0.
>
> I can never print from an application like postscript viewers when viewing a
> ps document, nor can I do:
>
> lpr -Pqueue1 file.ps
>
> Nothing ever happens for some reason.  But it always works fine when sending
> a test page!  I wonder why?  Any ideas?
>
> Many Thanks ;)

[snip]

This is not a direct solution, but I have this printer as well and it
works perfectly, printing directly from lpr, from apps, and from dvips.
I don't use KDE or Gnome; I set up the printer with magicfilter (having
failed to get CUPS to work).

My printcap file:

#	@(#)etc.printcap	5.2 (Berkeley) 5/5/88
#
# This file was generated by /usr/sbin/magicfilterconfig.
#
lp|lp|Kyocera FS-1010:\
	:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
#	:if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4-filter:\
	:if=lj5mono
	:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic