How to speed up ppp download with apt / aptitude ?

Hello,
still I'm not on the list ;-)
and here's my next question (you'll see the two issues are related):

When i download via aptitude on textconsole, the progress bar shows around
(take a deep breathe) 5300B/s.
However, if i switch to some neighbour tty and go back, the value
immediateley is decreased to < 1000 B/s, or even stalled. It needs some 5
seconds to
recover.

I wonder if this is only an (curses) UI display issue ?
Or if the spped really gets slowed down ? Maybe related to some 'nice'
process priority ?
I experimented to nice up  (t.i., down ;-) the apt links to around -16, and
aptitude to -14.
Indeed this seems to enhance things a little; but still it does go down -
however,  not so much as before (say, around 3000 B/s).

Could anybody explain this to me ?

Related question:

There's a multilink-feature in the kernel.
Is this something i can use for a dialup modem to increase download speed ?

I want to add that pppstatus sometimes shows up to 12 KB/s when browsing
http.

greets

-- mi

.... and don't believe them when they say: