Re: OT: why I don't want CCs

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 12:08:58AM -0400, MJM wrote:
| On Tuesday 15 July 2003 23:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
| > On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:14:08PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:

Regarding sorting both copies to the list box ... that doesn't really
work effectively.  (one of) The best method(s) for identifying list
mail is the List-* headers (or X-Maililng-List for lists managed by
old MLMs).  The duplicate copy doesn't have such a header because it
didn't go through the list.  Now suppose I look for the list address
in the To: or Cc: fields ... if someone BCCs the list (for whatever
reason) that will fail.  Additionally, suppose I send a question to
the list for which I want to see a duplicate in my inbox (so it stands
out against the rest of the list mail), that won't work.  I am
describing these scenarios not to start an argument, but only to
stimulate thought and to present things that you (in the general
sense) may not have thought of yet.

| > > Please let's not start a flamewar.  I won't cc you anymore since you read
| > > the lists all of the time.
| >
| > Better yet, don't CC unless someone has requested that you do through
| > the accepted methods of using Followup-To...

Paul's suggestion is a good practice.

| Just saw this thread.  It brings up a point that I've wondered about.  To
| respond to this list  I have to hit the Reply-All button.  Then I have to
| clean out other recipients other than the list address. IF I just use the
| Reply button, the person, not the list, is entered into the To: field. PITA.

Yeah.

| I use KMail - is it being lame?

Yes.  Or, possibly, it has a list reply feature that you haven't found
yet.  I can't say for certain because I don't use it.

| (I've got "learn Mutt" on my todo list - started playing with it
| tonight.)

Highly recommended :-).  (see my User-Agent: header)
Do note that for optimal (IMO) use the index_format variable needs to
be set differently for different folders (the default will look bad
when viewing your already-sorted list-only folders).

-D

--
He who walks with the wise grows wise,
but a companion of fools suffers harm.