Re: keystroke ctrl+s freezes terminal/console

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 06:56, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 07:42:30AM -0400, Shawn Lamson wrote:
> > On Tue, July 15 at 12:38 PM EDT
> > "Antony Gelberg" <antony@antgel.co.uk> wrote:
> > >ctrl+q.
> >
> > Thanks it works - can you give me a little detail on what this is?  Is in fact a
> > "suspend"... what is its purpose?
>
> Ctrl-S pauses output, and has been around on terminals for years (I
> think even DOS might have it?). It's useful when a program is spewing
> output very quickly and you want to pause it so that you can see what's
> going on in more detail.

Since, as others have pointed out, it's XON/XOFF and part of ASCII,
every ASCII serial and pseudo-serial "console" understands it,
including DOS, Windows command windows and VMS, and probably all
the extinct proprietary minicomputer OSs.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |