Re: Cloning a debian system

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 10:07:00AM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> My office machine will be replaced next month. I'd like to make the new
> machine be pretty much like the old one. Given that I can't actually move
> the primary hard drive over, what's the best way to get the package list
> straight? Should I back up all of /etc, do a basic net install, then do an
> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade?

Why mess with reinstalling everything?

Just put both hard drives in the new box, boot off of knoppix (it makes it
easier when copying the files), but you can just as easily boot off of your
old drive in the new box (in the new box to speed up the copy) and copy
everything over.

Make sure you don't copy /proc though. ;)

Then rerun the install for your favorite boot loader (gotta love grub!), or
lilo works too.

Once you boot up, change the modules loaded for your video, network, and
sound.  Change your X config to match your new video card and you're set.

Really.  I showed how easy it was to move a linux system between machines to
a windows guy, and he was amazed. :)

Mike